You will need:
-1 tbs. of dried lavender (+ 1 tsp for melted butter…Whole Foods has a good one)
-1/2 cup turbinado sugar (+ some for sprinkling on top)
-1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
-2 ½ cups pastry or all-purpose flour
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 egg, whisked for the wash on top
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt and set aside.
3. In a pestle and mortar, grind up sugar and lavender together.
4. In a small sauce pan, heat 1 stick of butter and 1 tsp. lavender over low heat and melt.
5. In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the paddle on, add both the remaining stick of butter and the melted butter/lavender mix, the lavender/sugar mix, and remaining ½ cup of sugar. Keep it on low to medium speed for about 5 minutes until really mixed. Stop the mixer and add the flour mix then continue on low for another minute or two.
6. Put dough onto a clean surface, roll into a ball and then wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
7. Line Cookie Sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
8. Lightly flour a cutting board, or clean surface, and grab a chunk of your dough, you can quarter it. Roll it out to about ¼” thick. Using whatever shaped cookie cutter you want cut your dough. Use a fork to make a couple of rows of holes, brush VERY lightly with egg wash, then sprinkle with a little bit of turbinado sugar.
9. Place onto cookie sheet and put into the oven in the medium and top racks.
10. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes BUT really start watching the cookies at the 8 minute mark. You want brown edges but shortbread overcooks easily.
11. Cool cookies and eat!